Appliance Prosthetic – Test Casting 01

Well, Although I am waiting on some silicone additives (tints and flocking) to give my appliances a more realistic look, I decided it was time to do a test cast to determine how much silicone would be required for my nose prosthetic.

The first step was to prepare the mould with a release agent to make it easier to get the silicone out.  Since I have a limited budget I decided to use Vaseline applied with a brush and then heated with a heat gun to liquid state which the hydrocal can absorb – all excess was then wiped away with paper towel.

Once that was complete I pored out 20gm of PlatSil Gel-00 A & B into seperate cups and added a VERY small amount of Burnt Sienna & Cream Acrylic paint to Part B and mixed until even color. (It seems Acrylic Paint makes a rather cheap alternative to silicone pigments).  Parts A & B were then mixed together and pored in a very fine/narrow stream into the Negative mold until it was 3/4 full (which was about 3/4 of the mixture)  Then the Face cast was inserted into the Negative and pressure applied (At one point my entire weight) to help squeeze any large air bubble out and force it out through the ‘blend edge’.  This was then left to setup fully (Platsil has a 6 min work time, 30-60 demould – I left it 5 hrs due to work )

Excess Platsil after 45 minutes.

The Demould

It seems the Vaseline method as a release agent works amazingly well.  VERY little effort was required to remove the Negative with appliance inside from the Head cast.

The flashing on the outside peeled away with no effort at all.  The silicone was then given a light dusting with cornflour before removing it from the Negative.

With very little effort, and dusting with cornflour and a soft makeup brush as I proceeded, the entire nose appliance came out very easily.

Unfortunately the skin color is not right.  It looks ok in this image as the background it white – but when places on the palm of my hand the color contrast is very noticeable. It also looks too ‘dead’ as there is not enough natural mottling that skin has (I have the pigments and flocking for this coming as I write this article).  However – for a very first test cast I am ecstatic with the result.

Appliance Prosthetic – Stage 3

Well, 12 Hours have past since the negative was pored and it was time to see how it went.

The 2 Pieces came apart very easily so the vaseline worked very well as a barrier for the hydrocal – although as we will see it did leave light brush marks in the resulting cast.

As you can see, there is some cleanup work to do on the pieces to remove the plasticine.

Closeup of the Negative mold piece.  The nose pores are very clear (which is excellent) but as mentioned, you can see the light brush strokes.  This shouldn’t be a big problem as the platsil gel-00 is translucent white and once pigmented and adhered to the skin they should be almost invisible.

So on with the cleaning.  Iso Alcohol was used to dissolve the Plasticine although a small amount of the colorant in the Plasticine did stain the hydrocal – but its just color.

Now I will leave it a couple of days in a warm dry environment to ensure the hydrocal is fully cured before we get onto the REALLY fun part – Casting my first Silicon prosthetic … YAY!

SupaNova 2017 – W.I.P. 01

For my 2017 SupaNova Cosplay costume I require some live casts.

Alginate with Plaster Bandaged as support material.

Once the alginate Molds had been taken they were willed with Hydrocal. The resulting casts then need to be cleaned up.

Raw Casts

And after cleaning the casts

This ‘Master’ Lifecast is then used to create a ‘snapshot’ for appliance prosthetic creation.