Appliance Prosthetic – Stage 2

From the raw sculpt I showed in my last post, I got to and smoothed and refined the detail in preparation for ‘texturing’.

To help get a very even surface to create my skin texture on, the entire sculpt was brushed down with isopropyl alcohol which slightly softens the plasticine and lets it blend smooth.  Once this was complete the texturing began.

Part 1: Large Pores.  Created with a blunt toothpick through plastic (to soften the edges)

Part 2: Small ‘feather’ pores.  Created with a stiff paintbrush also through plastic (lighter plastic than previous)

Part 3: Micro creased.  The plasticine in this case was stippled (with a stippling sponge) through 2 layers of plastic wrap.  This helped soften the previous pores and added the micro creases that all skin has.

 

The above 3 Parts were applied randomly, and in several ‘layers’ over previous parts to build up this nose texture.  Once I was happy with the result (and I am very happy with the results here) I started preparing for the negative cast.

So – What is this ‘outline’? you may wonder.  This is a drainage recess that will be part of the 2 part mold negative to allow any excess silicon a place to go.  After this the entire nose section was ‘boxed’ in ready to pore the hydrocal to make the negative.  BEFORE this however, all exposed plaster/hydrocal surfaces were brushed with Vaseline to act as a release agent and stop the hydrocal bonding to it. (I want to get them apart afterwards 🙂 )

The outer cardboard is simply to act as a support to ensure the plasticine doesn’t distort – but finally it is ready to pore.

Freshly pored, the hydrocal was set in less than an hour however I will leave it 12 hours before I try separating the 2 pieces (lets hope it worked) …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *